Open World Developer Hub Privacy Statement
Last updated: 2022-08-16
Please read the following statement (“Privacy Statement”) to learn about our privacy practices. This Privacy Statement explains how we collect, use, and disclose data when you use our platform and associated services, and tells you how to contact us.
Privacy Statement Summary
This is a summary of our Privacy Statement. To review our Privacy Statement in full please scroll down.
What does this Privacy Statement cover?
This Privacy Statement is designed to describe:
- How and what type of personal information we collect and use
- When and with whom we share your personal information
- What choices you can make about how we collect, use, and share your personal information
What personal information do we collect and use, and how do we collect it?
We collect personal information when:
- You give us the information
- We collect it automatically
- We receive it from others
When you create an account on one of our sites, sign up to receive offers or information, or otherwise use our platform, you give us your personal information. We also collect such information through automated technology such as cookies placed on your browser, with your consent where applicable, when you visit our sites. We also receive information from business partners and other third-parties, which help us improve our platform and associated tools and services, update and maintain accurate records, potentially detect and investigate fraud, and more effectively market our services.
How is your personal information shared?
Your personal information is shared with third parties to help provide you information, services, assist with your use of our services, communicate with you (including when we send information on products and services or enable you to communicate with others), and comply with the law, where applicable, depending on your interaction with the site. The full Privacy Statement below details how personal information is shared.
What are your rights and choices?
You can exercise your data protection rights in various ways. For example, you can opt out of marketing by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in the emails, in your account as applicable, or contacting our customer service. Our full Privacy Statement has more information about the options and data protection rights available to you.
How to contact us
More information about our privacy practices is in our full Privacy Statement below. Please contact us as to ask questions about how we handle your personal information or make requests about your personal information.
Categories of Personal Information We Collect
In General. We receive and store any information you provide to us through the Site or given to us in any other way. This includes information that can identify you, such as your first and last name, telephone number and postal and email addresses (“personal information”). We may collect the following categories of personal information:
- Name, email address, telephone number, business, and billing addressees
- Non-specific geolocation data
- Images, videos, and other recordings
- Communications with us
- Searches you conduct, transactions, and other interactions with you on our online services
- Data you give us about other people associated with you or your company
- We also may periodically obtain both personal and non-personal information about you from affiliated entities, business partners and other independent third-party sources.
Automatic Information. We automatically collect some information about your computer and your online activity when you visit the Site. For example, we may collect your IP address and information about what web browser software you use to access the Site (such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Internet Explorer) and referring website. Where permitted by local law, we may also automatically collect information you enter into any data fields shown on the Site, including your email address and log-in credentials. We may also collect information about your online activity, such as trips viewed or bookings made. Our goals in collecting this automatic information include helping to customize your user experience and inhibiting fraud. For more information, please see the Cookie Statement.
Use of Personal Information
Email Communications. We want to make it easy for you to take advantage of opportunities on our Site. One way we do this is by sending you email messages that contain information about your apparent interests. We believe these email messages will provide you with useful information about opportunities available to Expedia partners through our Site. Please note that you will have the opportunity to choose not to receive these email messages in any such email we send.
Lawful bases for processing:
We will collect personal information from you only (i) where the personal information is necessary to perform a contract with you (e.g., manage your booking, process payments, or create an account at your request), (ii) where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your rights (as explained below), or (iii) where we have your consent to do so (e.g., sending you marketing communications where consent is required). In some cases, we will have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you such as where it is necessary to use your transaction history to complete our financial and tax obligations under the law.
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
Certain countries and regions allow us to process personal information on the basis of legitimate interests. If we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate interests (or the legitimate interests of any third-party), this interest will typically be to operate or improve our platform and communicate with you as necessary to provide our services to you, for security verification purposes when you contact us, to respond to your queries, undertaking marketing, or for the purposes of potentially detecting or preventing illegal activities.
We may in some cases use automated decision-making, for example, in relation to assessing fraudulent transactions or suspicious activity on our site. As part of this processing, automated decisions may be made by putting your personal information into a system and the decision is calculated using automatic processes. If you pose a fraud risk, this may affect your ability to book on our site. You may have rights in relation to automated decision making, including the ability to request a manual decision-making process instead or contest a decision based solely on automated processing. If you want to know more about your data protection rights, please see the Your Rights and Choices section below.
Sharing of Personal Information
We share your personal information as described below and in this Privacy Statement, and as permitted by applicable law.
- Third-party service providers. We share personal information with third-party vendors who provide services or functions on our behalf, including business analytics, customer service, and fraud prevention. Third-party vendors have access to and may collect information only as needed to perform their functions and are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose. They are also required to follow the same data security practices that we ourselves adhere to.
- Legal rights and obligations. We may disclose your personal information in response to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us. Additionally, we may disclose your personal information when we believe it is appropriate to investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal or suspected illegal activities; or to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of our company, the Site, our customers or others.
- Companies within our corporate family. To the extent that our corporate affiliates have access to your information, they will follow practices that are at least as restrictive as the practices described in this Privacy Statement.
- Corporate Transactions. We may share your personal information in connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Other than as set forth above, you will be notified when personal information about you will be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to have us share such information.
We also may share aggregate or anonymous information with third parties, including advertisers and investors. This information does not contain any personal information and is used to develop content and services we hope you will find of interest.
YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
You have certain rights and choices with respect to your personal information, as described below:
- If you no longer wish to receive marketing and promotional emails, you may unsubscribe by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link in the email. You can also contact us as outlined below in the Contact Us section. Please note that if you choose to unsubscribe from or opt out of marketing emails, we may still send you important transactional and account-related messages from which you will not be able to unsubscribe
- You can control our use of certain cookies by following the guidance in our Cookie Statement
- You can update the accuracy of your information at any time by contacting us
- If we are processing your personal information on the basis of consent, you may withdraw that consent at any time by contacting us. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing that occurred before you withdrew consent and it will not affect our processing of your personal information that is conducted in reliance on a legal basis other than consent Certain countries and regions provide their residents with additional rights relating to personal information. These additional rights vary by country and region and may include the ability to:
- Request a copy of your personal information
- Request information about the purpose of the processing activities
- Delete your personal information
- Object to our use or disclosure of your personal information
- Restrict the processing of your personal information
- Opt-out of the sale of your personal information
- Port your personal information
- Request information about the logic involved in our automated decision-making used in our fraud prevention practices and the result of such decisions
For more information on what data subject rights may be available to you, please click here.
In addition to the above rights, you may have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. However, we encourage you to contact us first so we can do our best to resolve your concern. You may submit your request to us using the information in the Contact Us section. We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wanting to exercise their personal data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
International data transfer
The personal information that we process may be transmitted or transferred to countries other than the country in which you reside. Those countries may have data protection laws that are different from the laws of your country.
The servers for our platform are located in the United States, and the Expedia Group companies and third-party service providers operate in many countries around the world. When we collect your personal information, we may process it in any of those countries. Expedia Group maintains intra-group standard contractual clauses where applicable to cover the transfer of EU personal information to the US.
Certain Expedia Group US affiliates have certified to the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield frameworks. Such Expedia Group US affiliates will continue to adhere to the Privacy Shield frameworks and Principles even though the CJEU determined in July 2020 that the EU-US Privacy Shield framework is no longer an adequate transfer mechanism for the transfer of EU personal information to the US.
Our certifications can be found here. For more information about the Privacy Shield principles, please visit: www.privacyshield.gov. For more on our adherence to the Privacy Shield Frameworks, please see information posted here.
We want you to feel confident about using the Site and we are committed to protecting the information we collect. While no website can guarantee security, we have implemented appropriate administrative, technical and physical security procedures to help protect the personal information you provide to us.
We will retain your personal information in accordance with all applicable laws, for as long as it may be relevant to fulfill the purposes set forth in this Privacy Statement, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
The criteria we use to determine our retention periods include:
- The duration of our relationship with you, or recent bookings or other transactions you have made on our platform
- Whether we have a legal obligation related to your personal information, such as laws requiring us to keep records of your transactions with us
- Whether there are any current and relevant legal obligations affecting how long we will keep your personal information, including contractual obligations, litigation holds, statutes of limitations, and regulatory investigations
Updates to Privacy Statement
We may modify or amend this Privacy Statement from time to time. The date this Privacy Statement was last revised is identified at the top of the page and the terms of this Privacy Statement are effective as of that date.
All notices should be sent to:
Att: Partner Developer Experience, 1111 Expedia Group Way W., Seattle WA 98119