Prerequisite: Availability and Rates API | Booking Notification or Booking Retrieval API
The reservations capability of the API enables a partner to retrieve reservations made on an Expedia Group point-of-sale. Once implemented, lodging partners can use this capability to
Facilitate the onboarding process for lodging partners who are moving existing properties to a new connectivity solution or onboarding for the first time. This capability alleviates the need to manually export and import reservations by simply querying for a checkout date window.
Determine a property's reservation reconciliation eligibility. This capability enables partners to proactively query for eligibility criteria so that they know exactly which reconciliation actions can be taken.
Download the launch kit here.
Note: This capability retrieves reservations for properties that were onboarded to Expedia sites only. Retrieving reservations for Vrbo properties is not supported at this time.
Comparison to booking APIs
|Booking APIs||Reservations capability|
|Prefix the value of the rate ID in the ||Removes the prefix from the rate ID and provides the |
|Offer three types of transactions: original reservation, modified reservation, and cancelled reservation||Provides the |
|Bed types, smoking preference, multi-room reservation messages, and payment instructions are represented within ||Provides the |
|Return the total amounts after tax along with the tax amount||Returns the total amount after tax and the total amount before tax (a difference between the two indicates the tax amount)|
In addition, the Lodging Supply GraphL API returns Unicode characters if the guest provided these in the reservation. This includes non-ASCII characters and non-English characters such as Chinese and Japanese, which could be included in guest names and special requests. Therefore, you must support all UTF-8 and Unicode characters.
The reservations capability provides the ability for lodging partners to determine whether reservations are eligible for reconciliation. This eliminates the need for partners to rely on error messaging or hard-coded reconciliation criteria in their systems. Partners can proactively query for eligibility criteria so that they know exactly which reconciliation actions can be taken.
Here are the validation rules that determine if a reservation can be reconciled or updated:
- Only Hotel Collect reservations can be reconciled or updated.
- Check-in dates should be the current date and/or in the past.
- Reservations can be reconciled from the check-in date until the fourth day of the month after the checkout date (you cannot reconcile future reservations). For example, if a guest checks out on March 2nd, the partner can reconcile the reservation until April 4th. If you do not reconcile the reservation on time, the invoice includes the booked amount.
- Cancellation fee or no-show fee cannot be more than the initial booking amount.
- Amounts for dates included in the original reservation cannot be modified to a value four times above the actual amounts applicable to that date (for additional dates, there is no limit).
- Up to three days can be added before the original check-in date or up to three days after the original checkout date.
To determine if a reservation is eligible for reconciliation, include the
reconciliationEligibility object in the
reservations query, as documented here.
Be aware of these limitations when implementing the reservations capability:
The reservations retrieval capability is read-only and returns a summary of each reservation. Write operations are not supported at this time.
The following data points are not currently retrieved: credit card information, compensation, per-stay and per-person fees, and value add promotions.
Only reservations for local inventory are retrieved.
The state of a failed reservation cannot be changed once retrieved. If a reservation failed to be delivered by the Booking Notification or Booking Retrieval API, this capability enables you to retrieve these reservations, though modifications or cancellations to those reservations will be delivered using the secondary delivery method, such as email or fax.
You can query for reservations based on checkout dates and reservation ID. You cannot query for reservations based on booking dates.